Did You Know?
L. Frank Baum wrote the classic children’s book The Wizard of Oz while living in Chicago. He conceived the name for the mythical land while staring at a filing cabinet in his office in the Fine Arts Building and noticing the drawer labeled O-Z.
Tour guide Michael Corcoran views the rear of the Museum of Science and Industry. Designed by Charles Atwood, the building was originally built 1891-93 as the Palace of Fine Arts for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.
After the Fair, the building housed the Field Museum of Natural History into the 1920s. The structure, originally built of plaster, was reconstructed in stone (an exact copy) for the Museum of Science and Industry. Designated a Chicago Landmark in 1995.
For further information on any factual material on this site, or to inquire about or schedule a tour, contact
Michael Corcoran, CTG
For information on the photos on this site, for permission to use the images from this site, for information on this Website's design or for Website design services, contact